Monday, May 6, 2013

Mondovi #5 4/12/13


April 12th 2013

Today was a late start and so I arrived at 10:00 which is the start of my CT’s prep time. There was a sub here today so I did not get to do much art at the beginning. The substitute used to work in Mondovi as the middle school teacher and some other teaching positions so in our free time she gave me a tour around the school and talked to me about the differences in schools today and the way we teach compared to when she had first started.  It was a weird day because of the late start. We did not get to see students until noon when our Adaptive group came in which are 2 wonderful girls who are cognitively disabled with either muscle dystrophy or cerebral palsy and do not have control over their bodies or hands. One of the students is able to communicate a little with people and really tries to do things on her own even if it takes her a while she will keep trying until she gets it. She is in first grade and I admire her so much. She and I were able to draw a springtime picture together. Her favorite color is pink! Her teachers aid told me that I must use the hand over hand approach with both the girls but I often would let (names are altered) Gina try to color on her own or pick out the crayons. She was so happy when I let her do it on her own and it brought me such joy to see her succeed. It is days like today that makes me glad to be a future educator.  She drew pink and purple butterflies on a piece of bright pink paper.  I did not get to work as much with the other student because the substitute teacher was aiding her while I worked with Gina.  After they left the crowds of students would come and go every ten minutes. It was a special day for the students at Mondovi. Because they did so well with PBIS they had a reward day where they would travel to different classrooms and play games. In my class we played a PBIS scavenger hunt where I was able to play a game with K-5th grade about art history. The questions were simple. It said things like “what picture makes you feel sad, which picture is a self portrait, which picture has a still life and so on. I put a little twist on the game to help students remember. I just informed them of the artist and/or title of the work. I made it sound like there was no wrong answers as well. If they guessed the wrong answer I would say things like “oh it does kind of look similar to a still life, or I can see how you would think that because of… however that is not the picture I was looking for or that was good but lets see what the other team has to say”. It was amazing! I wish I have filmed me teaching that day because I felt like I was on fire. It was non-stop kids coming and going constantly for 3 hours. I tried to make she that I would call on everyone and not call on the same few who always raised their hands. It was just such an awesome evening and most of the kids seemed to like it.   It went from a slow morning to an amazing afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment